Monday, March 27, 2006

Yummy!

Saturday I bought myself a George Foreman Grill. Best decision I made in a while. Best deal I got in a while too. I picked it up at Loblaws on Queens Quay for $59.99 and it's a large one. Family size. I know people that have these and love them but I never thought to buy one but about 2 weeks ago I was at Loblaws and a new product was on the market - Baldwin's Kosher Hot Dogs. Oh....... these were to die for! I tried samples of every type they made. lol And what's more, the man grilling them (one of the company owners I think) was doing them on a George Foreman Grill. Well... these damn things were so delicious I bought the kosher dogs (a bit expensive - 5 for $4.99 but well worth it) and then checked out the grills. If they can grill a hot dog like that..... yummy.
So, this past Saturday I went down and picked it up. Brought it home and started cooking on it. Had burgers the first day and they were good. Yesterday though was heaven. My sister-in-law makes the best chicken-ka-bobs so I called her for her marinating recipe. I took out two skinless/boneless chicken breasts and boiled them for only about 5 minutes (no more!). They are pretty much cooked by then and so tender you can cut it with a spoon. I then took a tomato, a red pepper and an onion and sliced them all for the grilled veggies. I took the chicken and put Gail's marinade on them (both sides) and let them stand for about 15 minutes. Then I put everything on the grill for about 5 minutes.

One slight problem though. The meat was so thick that I really should have cut it lenghtwise in half so the veggies got grilled more. So in this case, I took the meat out for a minute or two and grilled the veggies more. Next time I'll know better and will slice the pieces lengthwise because I ended up having enough meat left over for tonights meal too for the both of us. These really were thick chicken breasts.

Here's the full recipe for Gail's marinade: (I cut it in half for just the 2 pieces)

1 pouch Lipton Onion Soup Mix
2/3 cup Apricot Jam
1/2 cup Water
1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger (if you wish)

In a sauce pan combine Lipton Mix, Apricot jam, water and ginger. Warm.
Baste chicken with glaze. Reglaze before serving and transfer any remaining glaze to a bowl and use as a dip.

*Note* To cut the Onion Soup Mix in half I suggest you really shake it well and mix it. One package is only 1/2 a cup in total so use 1/4 cup of it. Just make sure it's mixed well and you have equal parts of the powder in both 1/4 cups. And I used Loblaws PC brand Apricot Jam.

3 Comments:

Blogger the fourth dimension said...

Wow, that looks gorgeous! Now I am tempted to get a grill myself :s

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 6:20:00 pm  
Blogger iwant said...

I'm telling you, I use it more than I even thought I would. I found the cheapest place to buy this is from Loblaws of all places. I got mine at the Loblaws on Queens Quay at Jarvis St. and it cost me $59.99 + taxes. I saw one on sale this week at crappy tire that looks the same size but the lid is on the long side not the short side and it was $90.00 on sale!!

Thursday, April 13, 2006 5:02:00 pm  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

We have a little one that we use for tuna steaks and especially for grilled cheese sandwiches......

Friday, April 14, 2006 12:18:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home