Monday, March 06, 2006

A shitty end to a terrific evening......

Metro Toronto Police.... nothing like picking on disabled, elderly and women eh? Especially when there are men in the wrong but they're being left alone. There's always a couple of spoiled apples in the barrel. Here's what happened:

We all went out to dinner at the Town & Country and had a great time. Kicked back, relaxed, laughed and enjoyed a terrific meal. We headed back home around 9 pm. My mom got in the car with my nephew and I got in the car his girlfriend was driving. She came in from work in Oshawa so had her own car. They parked to let us out and.............. this is the letter I sent the Staff Sgt. I know at 51 Division about the situation...... I enclosed two pics of where we were parked. I had these pics on the computer from when I had the City put a ramp on the drop off spot last summer. If by chance I don't hear back I'll simply send the letter to him, off to headquarters for a response. This pissed me off.

Hi Sgt. Kelly,

This evening (Monday) at approx. 9:15 pm I and my company had an encounter with two of your officers. They were in car # 5132. This is what happened:

We were out for a family dinner. As you know, I'm disabled and use a scooter and so does my mother thanks to a genetic disease. This evening we were coming home and my mother was in the 1st car with it's driver and I was in the 2nd car with it's driver.

When we pulled up to the kiss and drop off spot directly in front of the entrance of my building there was a taxicab parked directly in front of the Wheeltrans bus stop completely blocking the bus stop. The first car with my mother in it pulled in behind the taxi to help my mother out of the car. She can't exit a car without help. Since we had been out to dinner neither of us were in our scooters so we can walk only so far, especially my mom. It's difficult for her to get from the curb up to our apt.

Anyway, we, in the 2nd car pulled in behind them at the very far end of the kiss and drop off spot. (see the pics enclosed - in #2 you can see the building wall so we were not anywhere near the bus stop they were going on about nor were we stopping them from going past.) This is a drop off spot for the building. This building is a designated disabled building. The curb pulls into the sidewalk to allow folks to stop quickly and drop off or for cabs to pick up and where Wheeltrans used to pick up and drop off prior to the Bus Stop being installed a bit up the street. This is an actual cut into the curb pick-up, drop off section. Since there was a taxi stopped directly under the Wheeltrans bus stop we had little room but I was about to get out of the car when # 5132 came around the corner and up right behind us. We couldn't move. We couldn't go forwards a few inches because the taxi ahead had our car and the car ahead of us pinned in. We couldn't go back because the police car was directly behind us.

I don't know why he was sitting back there because he could get past. Both a car and a van had already passed us so we weren't in the middle of the road by any means. Anyway he wouldn't move back, we couldn't move forward and the next thing you know he puts on his siren for a few and pulls up beside us and starts giving the woman driver of the car I was in a hard time. (not the actual siren but the one they put on if they want you to pull over.) Telling her that if it was an emergency he couldn't have gotten past, etc. Pardon me? He drove up and was actually ahead of her a bit while he's telling her this through the window shouting past the officer in the passenger seat.

In the meantime my mother who isn't too steady on her feet and 80 years old, was on the sidewalk trying to explain to the officer that they were not near the bus stop, but that a taxi was and they were only letting us out then leaving, however he didn't want to hear anything about it and told her he wasn't speaking to her. He told my mother this a few times, to an 80 year old woman that isn't being lippy or rude but is simply trying to explain that we are disabled and this is a drop off directly in front of the building we live in and the bus stop is approx. 25 ft or so up the way and a taxi was parked there blocking us.

Like I said though, he could pull past us to give my driver a hard time so there was no threat to him not being able to get through in an emergency. And all this time the taxi driver is sitting there blocking everyone but the officers in the car just continue to tell my driver they are going to be nice and not give her a ticket this time! She's trying to explain that the taxi has her blocked in and so do they! She's pinned in between and couldn't go forward or backwards. And did they even go after the taxi driver who was actually in the wrong and parked illegally and directly, and I mean directly at the bus stop??? nope. They continued to berate my driver. Finally the taxi driver left but they still chastised my driver more. In the meantime, my 80 year old mother that has also had several strokes is trying to keep her balance on the sidewalk while waiting for these officers to finish.

My driver was not parked anywhere near the WheelTrans Bus Stop. I know very well where that stop is. It's at least 25 ft from where we were. I was the one that had them put it there. I am also the one that had the City ramp that kiss and drop off curb as well just last summer. No, you are not allowed to park at that Bus Stop..... but yes you are allowed to use the kiss and drop off cut in the curb to drop someone off. The WheelTrans even used to pull in there to pick up and drop off people as well as taxi's and other vehicles before the WheelTrans Bus Stop was installed up the road a bit. Just because it is there now several feet away doesn't mean it's suddenly illegal to drop someone off at that cut in curb.

This situation was uncalled for. They even put on their sirens a bit. No exactly good public relations as far as I'm concerned and I'd like their names and badge numbers so I can write headquarters as well. There's nothing like picking on disabled and women. Two men were in the two cars ahead of us (one being the taxi that sat there the entire time illegally parked directly at the WheelTrans Bus Stop) and nothing was said to either of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home